Staffordshire FA have been touched by the plight of Kidsgrove Athletic Ravens U7’s Manager Russ Powell, who upon the discovery of terminal cancer, has made it his mission to spread the message of a child centered approach football.
BBC Radio Stoke have agreed to send a framed set of the rules to any clubs who signs up to the initiative, Staffordshire FA are keen to support this as it aligns with many off the messages which are encouraged through the Respect Programme and delivered on the FA Education courses.
Russ’ rules are :
• We will always try out best
• We support our team mates – we all do well when we work together
• We will avoid arguing and respect the decisions of officials
• We will play fair. Real winners follow the rules
• If we lose we won’t make excuses
• We will learn from our mistakes and get back in the game
• We will end with a handshake
• We will be the kind of people who make the world a friendlier place
• We will have fun!
Russ’ interview on BBC Radio Stoke can be listened to on this link :
He is on 1hr 9 minutes in.
Russ has also been featured in The Sentinel :
Here is the link to the original blog on the Kidsgrove Athletic Youth website
Any clubs who would like to sign up to the initiative can email email@example.com , quoting their club and address, where they will receive a set of the rules for their club house.
Russ’ story, and the enthusiasm, motivation and attitude to change football for the better during this tragic period of his life, is something which we at Staffordshire FA are proud to have part of our game and football community.
Staffordshire FA and The FA have supported Russ and his team with unique experiences to watch the England Seniors train at St George’s Park and also watch an England Under 18’s game at England’s training base.
For further information please contact Daniel.firstname.lastname@example.org