Next 3-5 February, millions of football fans and their clubs will gather for Green Football Weekend: a weekend of football fun and competitive activities to help protect our world.
From 17 January, in the lead up to the weekend, fans will be battling it out to win the Green Football Cup for their club, in a tournament where they can share their allegiance to their club and score green goals by taking climate-friendly actions.
This will all culminate on Green Football Weekend (3-5 February), when Green Football Weekend Games will be broadcast on BT Sport and Sky Sports, and football teams across the UK - from the professional leagues to casual Sunday football teams - will get involved.
This is a great opportunity for grassroot clubs to join in and help unleash the power of football to tackle climate change.
These are 5 simple ways to show your support for Green Football Weekend and engage with your team and community to take climate action:
1. Reusable bottles - Ask all players (home and away), fans and staff to swap their single use bottles for reusable ones. Make Green Football Weekend the beginning of plastic-free match days in 2023.
2. Travel green - Encourage everyone to make their way to the game by foot, bike, or public transport. Where this isn’t an option, encourage carpooling.
3. Eco wash - Challenge all players to wash their kit on an eco-wash (30 degrees or less).
4. Boot scheme - Set up a boot recycling scheme for players. Here’s one simple scheme you can apply to join.
5. Layer Up! Take on our layer up challenge during your warm-up and post your results using #GreenFootballWeekend. Who’s the champion in your team?
Want to do more? We’ve listed even more ideas here and in our club’s toolkit.
TELL US WHAT YOU’RE UP TO AND WE’LL SUPPORT!
You can contact us via greenfootballweekend.com about clubs, fans or communities taking part, so we can celebrate their action with the nation.
REWARDING STAFFORDSHIRE FA CLUBS WHO GET INVOLVED
As a further incentive to grassroots football clubs in Staffordshire to get involved in Green Football Weekend, Staffordshire FA will reward affiliated clubs who take action to support climate change, via the production & donation of reusable water bottles – in club colours with club logo added!
We’ll provide a further update on this additional local incentive over the coming days, but in the meantime please discuss with your club members potential ideas of how you can support Green Football Weekend by taking climate-friendly actions.