THE PLAYING SEASON AND THE CLOSE SEASON
Staffordshire FA would like to clarify the regulations surrounding playing football outside of the regular season.
Under rule B8.1.2, the playing season shall commence on the date set by the Board each year and end on 31 May of the following year, unless otherwise extended in accordance with rule B10.
Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic last season, it was necessary for some Competitions to extend their playing seasons. Since the conclusion of the 2021-22 season, this is no longer applicable.
No matches other than the following may be played in the close season:
- Small-sided matches, mini-soccer matches or matches played according to “The Laws of the Game – 9 v 9” and those organised in connection with works’ clubs sports days on private grounds and at fetes and similar sports functions;
- Matches between Army, Navy and Royal Air Force teams and teams of the Auxiliary Forces in Competitions whilst in camp. Such Competitions shall be strictly confined to the units concerned and gate money shall not be taken;
- Matches involving members of scouts, guides and similar organisations in Competitions whilst in camp;
- Matches for national representative teams or clubs played under the auspices of FIFA or UEFA;
- Matches between Clubs in the Premier League, the EFL, FAWSL and FAWC for the following season.
This shall also apply to any successor in title to any of the Competitions specified;
- 11v11 matches in sanctioned Competitions that meet the criteria in accordance with the “Regulations for the Sanction and Control of Competitions” and are approved by The Association or sanctioning Affiliated Association;
- Single day, weekend and bank holiday competitions and festivals meeting the criteria and receiving sanction;
- Pilot projects granted dispensation by The Association or sanctioning Affiliated Association.
If you require any further clarification or support, please contact Support@StaffordshireFA.com.