The Sam Kimberley Final took place at Eccleshall at the second attempt after originally being postponed thanks to Storm Doris some two weeks prior. A…

Staffordshire FA Sam Kimberley Trophy Final
Sporting Dyers 6 Warstones Wanderers 1
at Eccleshall FC
Tuesday 21st March 2017

Both sides took their time settling into the game and chances were few and far between in the early stages of the match, however it was Leek based side Sporting Dyers who eventually broke the deadlock not long after the half hour mark thanks to a smart finish from Jamie Pope.

Warstones were rattled and, for a sport spell, were looking vulnerable at the back and went 2 goals behind just five minutes later when Jamie Pope doubled both his teams’ and his own tally on the night.

The game promised goals and it did not disappoint, as within four minutes of the restart Dyers defence were caught short appealing for a foul in the centre of the park, however the referee disagreed and waved play on allowing Connor Forrester to nip in behind the defensive line to slot home for Warstones and reduce the Dyers lead back to a slender goal before the half time interval.

Throughout the half time break there was a sense that the next goal will be crucial, but no one expected it to come quite so quickly as within 30 seconds of the restart Dyers restored their 2 goal lead thanks to a Nick Cooke finish.

Warstones pushed hard for the next 10 minutes in the hope of getting back into the game; however the result was sealed after 56 minutes when Jamie Pointon struck a sensational 35 yard free kick over the wall and into the bottom corner of the net to give Dyers an unassailable 3 goal lead with just over half an hour to play.

Dyers were clearly fired up by their early form in the half, and Warstones were visibly shaken, therefore it came to no surprise when Dyers added insult to injury just a minute later when Olly Mellor lobbed the Warstones keeper to make it 5-1 to the Leek based club.

Despite the game being as good as over, Dyers were not done just yet as Jamie Pointon added his second of the night to wrap up the game on 71 minutes, and all that was left was for them was to see out the game and be crowned the 2017 Staffordshire FA Sam Kimberley Trophy Champions!