The second cup final of the week took place at a cold and windy Stone Dominoes FC as Cheadle United and Seighford went head to head for the TB…

Staffordshire FA TB Williamson Cup Final
Cheadle United 2 Seighford 1
at Stone Dominoes FC
Thursday 16th March 2017

In a competitive match it was Seighford who looked the most dangerous in the early stages, going close on a couple of occasions including hitting the bar before Cheadle settled into the game with the wind and drizzle in their faces for the first 45 minutes.

With a number of strong challenges going in early on, there was a sense that this final could boil over but credit to both sides, they were providing an entertaining game for those who had braved the cold to support their sides in this final and Cheadle almost broke the deadlock when a cross was fizzed across the area with nobody able to get the decisive touch.

After hitting the post on 16 minutes with a header it was first blood to Cheadle just four minutes later when a cross to the back post, after a set piece had looked to be over hit, saw Matt Nutt head back across the keeper and into the net to put them a goal up.

Seighford were now on the back foot after their bright start and, despite looking dangerous as the half wore on, went 2-0 before the interval when Ben Carr followed up to slot home a rebound after keeper Leo Clarke made an initial stop.

After half-time the game was turned on its head as Seighford went in search of a way back into the game and were a constant threat but were just not getting the bounce of the ball in the final third.

With just over 20 minutes to go a cross from the right was dummied in the box and Adam McMahon was on hand to fire Seighford back into the game and set up a frantic finale.

Despite many probing attacks and balls into the box, Seighford were unable to break through and Cheadle missed a golden opportunity to seal the tie towards the end but, despite being on the back foot for most of the second half, they held on for the win and were crowned TB Williamson Cup winners for 2016/2017.

Thanks to all who braved a cold night in Stone to support their teams in what was an exciting final.