Walsall Senior Cup Final

Last night saw Walsall FC recover from 3-1 behind at the Bank’s Stadium to claim their first Walsall Senior Cup victory since 1927.

Walsall Senior Cup Final
Walsall FC – 4 v 3 – Chasetown FC
(HT: 0-0, FT: 3-3)

A quiet first half affair saw few chances for either side, with the first chance falling after 20 minutes when former Walsall player, Richard Davies, shot wide for his Chasetown side. Chasetown again piled on the pressure shortly after, however experienced defender Matt Preston was on hand to clear off the line for Walsall.

Half Time Score: 0-0.

The Saddlers opened the scoring on 51 minutes when Rico Henry picked out Jordan Murphy who swept the ball home.

It did not take long until Chasetown levelled the scores from the penalty sport on 58 minutes when Simon Brown was brought down inside the penalty area and duly converted his spot kick.

With 70 minutes played, Chasetown had shocked the Walsall side by taking a quick 2 goal advantage with finishes from Danny Edwards and Danny Griffiths.

Walsall then continued to add pressure to the Chasetown goal and grabbed a goal back on 79 minutes when Jordan Murphy added his second goal for the evening. A tactical change from Walsall then saw them grab an equaliser through a Rico Henry finish 5 minutes before time.

Full Time Score: 3-3.

Extra-time flew into life quickly when Walsall’s Amadou Bakayoko was denied from close range after a fabulous save from goalkeeper John Bateman. However, it was Bakayoko who had the final say in game as his effort in stoppage time of the first half of extra-time could not be stopped and Walsall took the lead.

The second period of extra-time was a frantic affair as Chasetown searched for an equaliser, however they were kept at bay by the Walsall side who lifted the trophy for the first time in 88 years.

AET Score: 4-3.

We would like to thank Walsall FC for hosting the tie at the Bank’s Stadium. Our thanks also go to both teams for displaying a fantastic final worthy of such a historic competition. Also, thanks to the 482 spectators who came along to support on the evening.